Skip to main content

Telefunken Magnetophon 302TS Reel to Reel Recorder

After a long while, I'm back with a new review.

And this is not just a review... It's the review of the piece of technology I love the most from my entire collection, which also happens to be the oldest one I have.

It's the Telefunken Magnetophon 302TS portable reel to reel recorder from 1968.




And oh my God, it's simply mindblowing in every way.

It uses 13 cm  (5 inch) magnetic reels to record and play audio.
You can set the speed at 4.7 cm/s for longer playback but less quality or 9.5 cm/s for higher quality.


It can play stereo reels, but won't record in stereo. It also has two buttons for selecting between left and right track. (or both)


People consider reel to reel tape recorders to be the highest quality option for listening to music. Mostly because of the analog nature of the recording method, and the ridiculous speeds at which the tape moves in some higher end Recorders.

Of course, you could consider this a high end recorder. It depends on your point of view. The build quality is incredible, since it looks so beautiful and has lasted such a long time. I also heard somewhere that 9.5 cm/s is a very high speed for a portable recorder. But it won't ever reach the "perfect" sound quality of professional reel to reel recorders.


This is the volume knob, which I also really like. The plastic right under it in the picture is actually a pause button (pauses the tape while it's held down)


This is how it looks when the reels are revealed.


For audio input and output, it uses 5 pin DIN connectors, which I've found an adapter for at media galaxy. Made by hama. Now recording and playing back is as easy for me as connecting it with a standard 3.5mm headphone connector.


This is where the 6 volt power supply is plugged in, but mine is broken, and I use batteries. There is also a port for external speakers, probably, but I don't know what kind of connector that is, so I just use the headphone port which works just as well if I want to connect some better speakers.

Speaking of batteries, it takes 5 enormous type D batteries.
They last very, very long which is a good thing.

Also, this is what the reels look like:




I got the one with tape for about 25 Ron (5 dollars) and the empty one for 8 Ron. You need, of course, an empty one for the tape to be stored while it's playing.


This is how it looks without the reels installed.

I'll do a follow-up to this post with much more info about reel to reel recorders and they're history. This was  just a basic review of my particular model.

Also, in this video I made earlier today you can see it in action:



That's all for today! Have a nice afternoon!🦄

Comments

Post a Comment

Most Popular

Zenith Z-Note Flex - Cleaning, tweaking, installing MS-DOS and Windows 3.1

Hello everyone! Today's review is about my new (24 year old) laptop form Zenith Data Systems! This laptop truly is a technical wonder of the 20th century! In its small (but very thick) form factor, it packs: -A removable Intel 486SL 75mhz CPU. -12 megabytes of ram. (only 4, originally, mine was upgraded when I got it) -A very crisp and clear 640x480 LCD TFT display, with a brightness slider. -A 1800mah battery. (mine is dead, after so many years) -A standard 1.44 megabytes 3.5" floppy drive. -A trackball. -A membrane keyboard with some very interesting function keys. (pretty small, but ok) -A 524 MB hard drive. When I first opened its box, and I plugged it in, it didn't turn on. In fact, it doesn't turn on at the writing of this post either. Its power brick only works when it wants to, apparently. But fortunately, It worked long enough for me to install MS-DOS and windows 3.1 When I booted it up for the first time, after it prompted me to e

Kashtan-1 1989 Reel to Reel Recorder

Hello everyone, and even if it's a little late, merry Christmas!🎄🎅🦄 It's been a while since I published my last post, and I guess I've already said this in most of my posts. This blog is not going to be abandoned any time soon, but it's not my highest priority either. I will continue making posts about things I love, even if I won't make them often. For Christmas, Santa Claus got me a 1989 Kashtan-1 4-track consumer reel to reel recorder. Where he got it from, I don't know. Does Santa Claus have deposits of ancient products? Who knows. Maybe he's a fan of old technology too. I can finally say that I am seriously getting into reel to reel audio (My last recorder from 1968, even though it's probably much cooler and more valuable than this one, doesn't come near to the sound quality of this one, because, first of all, this one passes the tape trough the heads at twice the speed, and second of all, this one is glorious STEREO) Glorious, it